184109
183966
West Kelowna  

Bedroom fire caused by heater

 

West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded Tuesday afternoon to a report of fire in the basement of a house in the 2900 block of Bentley Road.

The call was reported at.around 4:00 pm by the homeowners, who had just returned home, and West Kelowna responded with 8 personnel, 2 Engines, 1 Safety vehicle and a Command Unit.

First arriving units reported light smoke coming from inside the residence, but once entry was made they encountered large amounts of black smoke that lead them to one of the bedrooms. The crew found the seat of the fire and extinguished it.

There were no injuries.

Fire damage was contained to the bedroom, but there is significant smoke damage to the rest of the structure.

The cause is determined to have been a space heater that was placed too close to combustible products.

A damage estimate is not known at this time, and the four family members are in the care of Emergency Support Services for the next 72 hours. 

The home was insured.



More West Kelowna News

180555