135676

West Kelowna  

Fire part of busy evening


UPDATE: 9:15 p.m.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue says the Glenrosa house fire was just part of a very busy evening. 

Crews were responding to a motor vehicle accident on the Coquihalla Connector at 6 p.m., when a call came in about a structure fire in a single family home on McIver Road. 

First crews to arrive reported flames through the roof, meaning it was a "working" fire. Crews acted quickly to keep the fire from spreading throughout the entire home, which may have caused a total loss. 

The fire was largely contained to the upstairs living room area, and all four occupants plus their three pets escaped the home safely. They are now being cared for by Regional Emergency Support Services. 

The fire appears to have been started as a chimney fire, which extended into walls and the ceiling. It is not known if the occupants had insurance. 

As if a fire weren't enough to deal with, while the blaze was going on, West Kelowna Fire Rescue got a call about a car fire with possible extension into an adjacent structure. Their last two available vehicles, an engine and a water tender, were dispatched along with help from the Kelowna Fire Department. 

The concurrent emergencies are a reminder to be vigilant heading into winter, WKFR says. Ensure all smoke detectors are functioning, clean and inspect wood-burning stoves and fireplaces and have a home escape plan. On the road, ensure you are ready for winter driving conditions and in the case of an emergency, pull over and call 9-1-1. 


UPDATE: 7:48 p.m.

According to a neighbour across the road from the McIver Road house that caught fire Saturday evening, there are no more visible flames and things seem to be "under control."

A woman heard sirens and saw fire trucks coming up her street shortly after 7 p.m., but at first couldn't see where they were going. 

"From where we are, we can see the house," she said. "At first there was nothing there, and then we could see a bunch of flames."

She said emergency crews responded quickly, and now activity has died down. 

Castanet has reached out to the West Kelowna Fire Department for details on the blaze and will update as more information becomes available. 


ORIGINAL: 7:28 p.m.

Castanet is receiving reports of a house fire in Glenrosa in West Kelowna Saturday night, near McIver and McTaggart roads. 

According to tipsters, the fire department is on the scene. 

More to come. 

Send your news photos and videos to [email protected]



More West Kelowna News

Recent Trending
57111


50146


59056


59782
Okanagan Oldies

Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Lily
Lily Kelowna SPCA >




134359




West Kelowna Quick Links City of West Kelowna
Central Okanagan Regional District
West Kelowna Discussion Forum
District of Peachland
Interior Health
School District 23
Westside Tourism
Okanagan Regional Library
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
134427