For the 2nd game in a row, the Kelowna Rockets blew a big 2nd period lead. Unlike Saturday's dramatic 4-3 overtime win, the Rockets couldn't hold off the Vancouver Giants on this night.
The Giants erased a 3-0 deficit midway through the 2nd period Tuesday night, scoring 4 unanswered goals in a 4-3 victory over the visiting Rockets. The win gives the Giants a 2-1 lead in the best of seven first round series.
Chris Ray in the first period, and Justin Keller with a pair in the 2nd, staked the Rockets to a seemingly insurmountable 3-0 lead. However, the Rockets defense, the hallmark of the team all season long let them down again.
Paul Albers, Mitch Bartley and Cam Cunning drew the Giants even before the end of the 2nd. Defenseman Andrej Meszaros scored on a power play 9:33 into the final period on a shot, which appeared to deflect off a Rockets defender before finding its way into the net.
The Rockets were 1-6 on the power play, the Giants 2-6. The Rockets had 3 power play chances in the final period, including 2 man advantage situations to start the third period, but couldn't get the all-important 4th goal.
Game 4 in the series goes Wednesday night in Vancouver. Game 5 will be played back at Prospera Place Friday night at 7.
Rockets Fall in Vancouver
More WHL articles
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- West Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan Jr Warriors
- Canadian Hockey Enterprises
- Okanagan Hockey Group
- Canadian Sport School Hockey League
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Injury sidelines Cristall Jan 23
- Rockets slump deepens Jan 22
- Turnovers Rockets' curse Jan 21
- Blazers earn wild win in OT Jan 21
- Rockets earn key victory Jan 20
- Blazers blown out by Ams Jan 20
- Szturc new Rocket captain Jan 19
- Rockets losing playoff grip Jan 14
- Blazers outgun Chiefs Jan 14
- Rockets offence dries up Jan 13
- Blazers take down Silvertips Jan 13
- 3 Rockets on draft report Jan 13