So much for "The Streak" and home ice advantage.
The visiting Vancouver Giants snapped the Rockets 28-game home ice unbeaten streak and wrestled away home ice advantage at the same time, beating the Kelowna Rockets 4-3 Friday night in game one of their best-of-seven first round playoff series.
Defenseman Conlon Seder snapped a 3-3 tie with a low hard shot from the right point with less than 8 minutes left in regulation time. The goal came after the Rockets had clawed their way back from a 3-1 second period deficit.
Tyler Mosienko and Brent Howarth with his 2nd of the night scored early in the final period to tie the game at 3. Triston Grant, Gilbert Brule and Adam Courchaine scored the other Giants goals, all in the middle period.
Vancouver was 1-5 on the power play, while the Rockets were 0-4 with the man advantage.
Game 2 in the series goes Saturday night at Prospera Place, before the series shifts to Vancouver for games 3 and 4 Tuesday and Wednesday.
Rockets Drop Playoff Opener
More WHL articles
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- West Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan Jr Warriors
- Canadian Hockey Enterprises
- Okanagan Hockey Group
- Canadian Sport School Hockey League
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Blazers like their chances Sep 20
- Honouring first responders Sep 19
- Book closed on pre season Sep 16
- Rockets fall to Giants Sep 15
- Rockets deal for goalie Sep 11
- Rockets fall in opener Sep 8
- Rockets trim camp roster Sep 7
- Rocket battles heating up Sep 7
- Rockets trim camp roster Sep 5
- Cristall inks NHL deal Jul 6
- Rockets add Czech winger Jul 5
- 12 Rockets at NHL camps Jul 4