Rockets edge Spokane 2-1 in an eight round shootout

Rockets win a wild affair

The 3,400 fans allowed into Prospera Place got their money's worth, and then some Friday night.

Those in attendance were treated to a wild and woolly affair featuring spectacular goaltending, near misses at both ends, a pair of heavyweight tilts and an eight round shootout.

The night finally came to an end when Turner McMillen beat Mason Beaupit high to the blocker side in the eighth round of the shootout.

Both Beaupit and Rockets Talyn Boyko combined for 76 saves through regulation game and a thrilling three-on-three overtime that included 12 shots, a goal post and a penalty shot.

Defenceman Jake Lee was hauled down on a breakway with 1:08 left in overtime, resulting in the penalty shot.

"Usually, I'm a low-blocker guy. He was challenging a bit so I kind of questioned my decision," said Lee of the overtime penalty shot.

"I probably could have made a move, but you can't have them all."

Beaupit turned aside the shot, forcing the shootout.

Colton Dach and Jake Poole both scored to keep the shootout alive, paving the way for McMillen's heroics.

Bear Hughes got the Chiefs on the board first, wiring a one-timer from the left circle on a Spokane power play.

A pass from the right boards appeared headed for a player in the slot, but it slid through to Hughes who made no mistake.

Lee tied it early in the second with arguably the prettiest individual effort of the season.

Taking the puck between the hash marks on the right board, Lee skated behind the goal line, then, while shielding the puck from a defender, circled to the front of the net and beat Beaupit low to the far corner.

It was a career-high sixth of the season for Lee.

Seconds later, Dach was hauled down on a breakaway, earning a penalty shot of his own. He deked to the forehand, but was unable to lift the puck over Beaupit's outstretched pad.

Both goalies took over after that.

Boyko was especially sharp during a sequence late in the third, allowing the Rockets to get to overtime and eventually the shootout.

Both teams fired 39 shots on the opposing net.

Spokane finished one for four with the man advantage while the Rockets were held at bay on their three opportunities.

The Rockets received a scare in the third period when Dach was sent into the boards face first. He left the game briefly before returning later in the period.

Friday's win snapped the Rockets three game winless streak.

They remain second in the BC Division with 20 points, one better than the third place Vancouver Giants.

Kelowna will host Prince George Saturday before closing out a brief three-game homestand against the Giants next Wednesday.

More WHL articles