It was the worst of scenarios for the Kelowna Rockets as they try to avoid missing the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.
The Rockets fell 4-1 to the B.C. Division champion Vancouver Giants Saturday night, while at the same time the Chilliwack Bruins edged Portland 3-2 in a shootout.
The results leave the Bruins two points up on the Rockets in the fight for the final playoff spot in the division. The Rockets have three games left in the regular season while the Bruins have four remaining.
Vancouver took the sails out of the Rockets and another sellout crowd at Prospera Place with two goals in a span of 11 seconds midway through the third to snap a 1-1 tie.
Kelowna had a glorious chance to get back into the game a few minutes later when Cody Franson took a five minute fighting major after throwing punches at Lucas Bloodoff. The Rockets rookie was not penalized.
The Rockets managed just two shots during the long power-play, which included a full two minutes with a five-on-three advantage.
Cody Almond opened the scoring for the Rockets midway through the second.
The Rockets conclude their three game weekend with an afternoon contest in Tri-Cities Sunday. The Bruins play in Seattle Sunday.
Kelowna closes out the regular season at home against Kamloops next Friday and Prince George Saturday.
Rockets Dealt Serious Blow
More WHL articles
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- West Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan Jr Warriors
- Canadian Hockey Enterprises
- Okanagan Hockey Group
- Canadian Sport School Hockey League
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Blazers fall in shootout Feb 25
- Rockets lose a thriller Feb 24
- Giants crush Blazers Feb 24
- Cristall's trick lifts Rockets Feb 23
- Blazers fall 5-1 to Cougars Feb 23
- Rockets rock the Turtles Feb 22
- Rockets snap losing streak Feb 19
- Blazers earn Family Day win Feb 19
- Late goal sinks Rockets Feb 17
- Rockets fall to Royals Feb 16
- Blazers blown out in P.G. Feb 16
- Rockets drop heartbreaker Feb 13