In a playoff race, divisional games are extremely important. Games against teams directly above or below you in the standings are vital.
The Kelowna Rockets play another vital four-pointer Tuesday night when they battle the Prince George Cougars in the Central B.C. city.
The Rockets enter the game just four points behind the third place Cougars and four better than fifth place Chilliwack.
Rockets Assistant Coach, Ryan Huska, says the focus is on catching the third place Cougars.
"You always look up --- you never want to catch yourself looking behind you. It's always important to set your sights on the teams ahead of you. It gives you something to shoot for," says Huska.
He admits the Rockets are a lot closer to the Cougars than most people thought when the season began.
The Cougars were expected to be closer to Vancouver near the top of the B.C. Division.
Prince George struggled out of the gate. After starting the year 6-10, coach Mike Vandekamp and assistant Stew Malgunas were relieved of their duties.
The Cougars have gone 10-11-2-4 since the coaching change.
Kelowna has won four of the six games played between the two teams, including a 4-0 victory at Prospera Place last Friday night.
The teams split a pair of games in Prince George back in November.
Rockets return home to host Chilliwack Thursday before the division leading Vancouver Giants finally make an appearance in Kelowna on Saturday.
Rockets In PG Tonight
More WHL articles
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- West Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan Jr Warriors
- Canadian Hockey Enterprises
- Okanagan Hockey Group
- Canadian Sport School Hockey League
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Rockets snap losing streak Feb 19
- Blazers earn Family Day win Feb 19
- Late goal sinks Rockets Feb 17
- Rockets fall to Royals Feb 16
- Blazers blown out in P.G. Feb 16
- Rockets drop heartbreaker Feb 13
- Rockets look to rebound Feb 12
- Rockets frustrating in loss Feb 10
- Rockets blast past Blazers Feb 9
- Rockets return with shutout Feb 7
- Blazers beat up on T-Birds Feb 7
- Rockets shelled by Chiefs Feb 4