After scoring just 10 goals during the 2004-2005 season, defenseman Mike Card has stepped up his offensive game early this season.
Card scored twice on the power play Saturday night, including the game winner in overtime, leading the Rockets to a 4-3 victory over the Brandon Wheat Kings.
Card, with four goals in two nights, now shares the team lead in goals with Troy Bodie, both with five goals on the season. Card also has five assists to lead the team in scoring with 10 points.
The win was the Rockets second straight during their current six game road trip, and fourth straight overall.
Card tied the game six minutes into the second period, before Troy Ofukany, also on the power play, gave the Rockets a 2-1 lead. The Wheat Kings tied the game at two heading into the final period.
Clayton Bauer with his first of the season and Teegan Moore traded third period goals, setting the stage for Card's OT winner.
The win was also the first of the season for goaltender Kris Westblom, who kicked out 17 or 20 shots.
The Rockets connected on three of seven power play chances, while holding the Wheat Kings scoreless in six man advantage opportunities.
The Rockets now get a day off before resuming their road trip Monday in Swift Current.
Four In A Row For Rockets
More WHL articles
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- West Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan Jr Warriors
- Canadian Hockey Enterprises
- Okanagan Hockey Group
- Canadian Sport School Hockey League
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Rockets hand out hardware Mar 26
- Sloppy end to Rockets year Mar 25
- Blazers fall in season finale Mar 25
- Buzzer beater fells Rockets Mar 24
- Blazers mauled by Cougars Mar 24
- Rockets, T-Birds round 10 Mar 23
- Blazers hang on, beat 'Birds Mar 22
- Blazers fall to Thunderbirds Mar 21
- Rockets fall in OT Mar 18
- Blazers overwhelm Rockets Mar 17
- Rockets drop key matchup Mar 15
- Blazers beat up on Royals Mar 15
© 2023 Castanet.net