GoFundMe campaign launched for Spallumcheen fire family

Campaign for fire family

A fundraising campaign has been launched for a Spallumcheen family who lost their home to fire last week.

Friend Tina Campbell launched a GoFundMe campaign for the Buzzell family after an electrical fire tore through their home.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames pouring out of the Highway 97A home Tuesday afternoon.

Two occupants were treated for smoke inhalation, and a firefighter rescued a family cat that was stranded in the flooded basement.

Crews pumped out the basement to retrieve the family pet.

"Thankfully, the family and most pets made it out safely. They are still missing one cat," says Campbell.

"Our kids have grown up together, playing hockey, lacrosse and other sports. BJ is a wonderful father, a volunteer through community sports and overall a great guy. He would help anybody in need," she says.

Campbell says her friends lost everything and are now displaced.

"Unfortunately, they did not have house insurance," she adds.

"We're trying to raise enough money to get them clothing, and essential items, and back on the property to be with the rest of their animals."

As of midday Monday, the campaign had raised $2,985 towards a goal of $15,000.

More Vernon News