Vernon Winter Carnival tickets go on sale this Friday.
The 63rd annual carnival is less than three months away, running Feb. 3-12, and features no fewer than 28 new events.
"The response from our ... event holders has been overwhelming! This is the most new events we've had in quite a few years. It's wonderful to see the community showing their carnival spirit," says carnival society chair Laurell Cornell.
Many events often sell out the morning tickets go on sale. Sales begin at 9 a.m. at the Vernon Winter Carnival office (3401 35 Ave.) and online at vernonwintercarnival.com/events or by phone at 250-545-2236.
The festival will include more than 130 events over its 10 days.
The new events include:
- Reconnecting in the North Okanagan
- Magic School Bus Gallery shows
- Live Music at Lake City Casino
- Winter Carnival 1 Mile
- Pop Culture Show & Sale
- Queer Field Trip
- Pokemon Habitats
- From the Small Screen to the REALLY Big Screen
- Free Family Skate with MP Mel Arnold
- The Reverie
- Bubble Tea Making Class
- Lots of Tots Playgroup
- Storytelling with Okanagan Indian Band
- Queer Family Game Night
- Biathlon Demo Night
- Mini Mandalorians
- Happy Days Sock Hop – seniors event
- Rookie Blue – Behind the Scenes
- TV Western Square Dance
- TV Trivia & Costume Night
- CSI – Adult Crime Scene Investigation
- Carnival Kickball Tournament
- Polar Bear Market
- Yaba-Daba-Do! Saturday Morning Cartoon Party
- Sweetheart Pairings with Lake Country Scenic Sip Wine Trail
- Outdoor Oval on Swan Lake
- Coffee House at Halina Centre
- NYPD Blues Band
- The Halina Presents: a RRREEAALLLY Big Variety Show
Returning favourites that have been missed the last two years include:
- Sip & Savour
- Parka Party at Predator Ridge
- BeerCan Beiner
- Feather Fanciers Show
- 50th Annual Coca-Cola Classic PeeWee Hockey Tournament
- Jopo Swim
- Total Fun Bed Races
- St. James Family Fling
- Restaurant Olympics
"The theme for 2023 is Carnival TV," says executive director Vicki Proulx. "It's been awesome to see so many events get on board with the theme, there's so much that can be done with TV!"
"You can really feel the excitement retuning this year," says Cornell.