Vernon's Pottery Road named after Axel Ebring - who was a potter
Road named after potter
The historical record works in mysterious ways.
Around 1975, a newspaper dating back to April 3, 1943, was discovered beneath the floorboards of a North Vancouver home. Forty seven years later, in 2022, the newspaper has made its way to the Museum & Archives of Vernon.
The North Van house was 80 years old in the 1970s when it was purchased by Jim Huffman, who now lives in Vernon. While renovating one of the bedrooms, Jim discovered two or three complete Vancouver Sun Newspapers dating back to the 1940s tucked beneath the old linoleum flooring.
Being somewhat of a self-proclaimed history nut and hoarder, he tucked them away in safe place before passing them along to a museum staff member earlier this year.
What is interesting about one of these aged Vancouver newspapers (other than the fantastic Prince Valiant cartoons) is that it includes an article about one of Vernon’s very own — Axel Ebring.
Long before the age of the internet, this celebrated local potter had managed to make a name for himself across the province.
Axel was born in Kalmar, Sweden, in 1874. At the age of 12, he immigrated to Canada. He worked as a general labourer for many years, before adopting his father’s profession and building his first production kiln at Notch Hill, near Salmon Arm, in the 1920s.
He discovered another clay deposit about 10 years later in Vernon, and moved his operation here.
As the Vancouver Sun article relates, Axel's kiln was about 20-feet square and eight-feet high, with walls that were two-feet thick.
After forming his creations, Axel would decorate them with naturally-produced dyes made from roots and berries. The article also includes an interesting discussion of the process Axel would take to break down chunks of scavenged quartz to form a glaze. Once decorated and glazed, the pieces were placed in large, heat-resistant crocks called “seggars,” which were then stacked on top of each other in the kiln.
The pieces were fired twice for 60 hours, with a cooling period in between, and then were ready for sale.
Axel remained in Vernon until 1954, when he passed away. His legacy was marked in the naming of Pottery Road, near where his kiln and shop were located.
Many of his creations are preserved in both the Vernon Museum and the R.J. Haney Heritage Village & Museum, as well as in private collections.
Gwyn Evans is the research and communications co-ordinator with the Museum and Archives of Vernon.
More Vernon News
Top road trip spots in BCSponsored Content - 12:01 pm
Truck flees, crashesKelowna - 11:55 am
Rookie goalie shinesVernon - 11:52 am
Seriously hurt in hit and runKamloops - 11:42 am
Flair Airlines has a new CEOBusiness - 11:29 am
Vernon Discussion Forum
District of Coldstream
Village of Lumby
City of Armstrong
City of Enderby
District of Sicamous
Interior Health
Okanagan Regional Library







.png)







