Vernon Fire Rescue says one person was taken to hospital following a fire in the 5000 block of 27th Avenue Friday afternoon

One in hospital after fire

UPDATE 6:08 p.m.

One person was taken to hospital with 'undetermined injuries' following a fire that took place at the 5000 block of 27th avenue Friday afternoon.

Vernon Fire Rescue Services (VFRS) says upon arrival, firefighters confirmed at least one of the two units had a fire inside on the ground level. They quickly pulled a line and knocked the fire down from the front entrance area.

Once additional resources were on scene, firefighters were able to make entry into the duplex to extinguish hot spots and confirm there was no extension into other parts of the structure.

“All occupants of the duplex were outside when emergency crews arrived,” says Deputy Chief Scott Hemstad. “The occupants were assessed by BC Ambulance Service members and one person was taken to hospital with undetermined injuries.”

All residents of the duplex will be displaced while a fire investigation takes place. The residents are receiving assistance through the City’s Emergency Support Services (ESS) program.

“The unit that contained the fire has sustained heavy smoke damage and some fire damage. The adjacent unit has also sustained some smoke damage,” adds Deputy Chief Hemstad.

Vernon North Okanagan RCMP, BC Ambulance Service, BC Hydro and Fortis BC were also on scene. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time and is under investigation.

ORIGINAL 4:08 p.m.

Vernon Fire Rescue were called to the 5000 block of 27th Avenue for a house fire Friday afternoon.

When crews arrived, flames could be seen coming out of a door on the second floor balcony.

A man was using a garden hose in an attempt to slow the flames while black smoke poured out of the upper-floor windows when crews arrived.

Fire crews responded with two trucks and half a dozen firefighters.

Firefighters entered the townhouse and knocked down the flames.

There is no word yet in the cause of the fire or if anyone was injured.

The call came in about 3:30 p.m.

More Vernon News