Armstrong garbage contractor hospitalized in hazmat incident

Hazmat hospitalization

UPDATE: 12:05 p.m.

Hazardous materials left in Armstrong garbage over the past week and a half include uncapped sharp needles and broken neon light tubing.

Community services manager Warren Smith says a May 19 incident involved multiple uncapped needles.

The contractor was not injured in that incident, when the bag ripped open and the needles became visible.

However, an employee was sent to hospital on May 26 when shards of glass from a broken neon light fixture injured the worker as he lifted the bag.

"We have spoken to both residents involved, and they are very understanding," said Smith.

"We just want to make sure everyone is safe from the beginning to the end of the process."

ORIGINAL: 11:40 a.m.

A City of Armstrong garbage contractor had to be hospitalized after a hazardous waste incident.

During the past two weeks, the city’s waste collection provider has had two serous incidences involving hazardous waste that had been inappropriately disposed of, the city says in a press release.

"These incidents exposed the employees to extreme risk, and in one incident seriously injured the employee to the point they required hospitalization resulting in cancellation of collection for the remainder of the day which impacted several hundred residences," said community services manager Warren Smith.

Residents are reminded that hazardous materials can cause extensive injury when hidden in a garbage bag.

Such items include, but are not limited to: neon light bulbs, broken glass, needles/sharps, and corrosive or toxic liquids.

"If it is in your garbage, you must ensure that there is no risk to others, and it is a permitted item," the city says.

Residents are urged to check with their service provider or the city if they are not sure of how to dispose of hazardous materials.

More Vernon News

Recent Trending



Send us your News Tips!


Vernon SPCA Featured Pet

Sky Vernon SPCA >


Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada