135767

Vernon  

CO alarm saves 4 lives

A carbon monoxide detection alarm saved the lives of four adults and a number of animals early Sunday morning in Vernon.

“The hot water tank was defective and there were high levels of CO in the residence,” said Fire Cpt. Dan Walker of Vernon Fire Rescue.

Walker said the carbon monoxide alarm went off at the home on the 4200 block of Alexis Park Drive at 12:34 a.m., alerting the residents to the presence of the poisonous gas and allowing them to escape.

A fire crew in hazmat gear attended the scene, turned off the gas and aired out the house.

Walker said the alarm “100 per cent” saved the lives of the occupants and their pets.

“People should have CO detectors in their homes as much as they have smoke alarms,” Walker said, reminding people to replace them every five years.

The fire department was called out three times over 24 hours for carbon monoxide alarms over the weekend.

In one case, a driver had left the car idling in the garage for too long allowing the fumes to escape inside the residence, Walker said.



More Vernon News

132209
Recent Trending


49792


57855


Send us your News Tips!


135176
Okanagan Oldies

Vernon SPCA Featured Pet

Chloe
Chloe Vernon SPCA >


135063




Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
59421
135173