It wasn’t another grass fire, but it did require the assistance of the Oliver Fire Department.
Oliver Fire Chief Dave Janzen says he sent five firefighters to assist B.C. Forestry Services fight a fire on Saturday afternoon.
The fire broke out around 2 p.m. on a hill west of Oliver near the microwave tower.
“I can’t say for sure how big it was, but I believe it was between one and two acres in size. B.C. Forestry had two helicopters and two air tankers working on it and I sent a crew of five to give them a hand,” says Janzen.
The Oliver Fire Department has been busy putting out fires this week. Since August 30, three grass fires have been started under suspicious circumstances.
Janzen says the cause of Saturday’s fire isn’t known, but he is hoping to speak with Forestry officials sometime Sunday.
Fire Near Oliver
More Penticton News
- Canada dusts off sanctionsCanada - 11:55 am
- 2 alleged neo-Nazis charged Ontario - 11:49 am
- Stellar year for video gamesEntertainment - 11:48 am
- Marchand named top judgeKamloops - 11:41 am
- Lifts spin at Big WhiteBig White - 11:18 am