A grass fire broke out in Oliver Friday afternoon.
Just a few minutes after noon, smoke was spotted next to the Vincor winery by Tuc-el-nuit Road.
Fire information officer, Karlie Shaughnessy, says the fire is 1.5 hectors in size and three initial attack crews are on scene.
"There are about 11 people on the ground fighting the fire and they pretty well have it under control," says Shaughnessy.
She says a medium helicopter is also being used to bucket the area.
NK’Mip Golf Club course superintendent, Brad Ackerman, says the fire is right next door to the golf course.
“I just looked up and saw the smoke. It’s near the site of the 2003 fire which the RCMP are investigating,” says Ackerman.
He says the winds were causing them some concern, but they have died down.
No one from the Oliver fire department was available for comment.
Oliver Grass Fire
More Penticton News
- Fire recovery help availableNorth Shuswap - 12:00 pm
- Canada dusts off sanctionsCanada - 11:55 am
- 2 alleged neo-Nazis charged Ontario - 11:49 am
- Stellar year for video gamesEntertainment - 11:48 am
- Marchand named top judgeKamloops - 11:41 am