The Oliver Fire Department is warning people about leaving food unattended on stoves following a kitchen fire Monday night.
Just before 10 p.m., fire officials responded to a call on 101 Street.
Fire Chief Dave Janzen says the fire broke out because a resident of the cabin left food cooking unattended on a stove.
“It didn’t take long to get the situation under control, but it could have spread very, very easily,” says Janzen.
He says one of the residents went back into the cabin to put out the fire with an extinguisher, an action he doesn’t recommend.
“Once you are out of a house which is on fire or filled with smoke, you should never go back in. Not for anything. That’s what we are here for,” says Janzen.
He says as a result of going back into the smoke-filled cabin, two people had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Oliver Kitchen Fire
More Penticton News
- Push for housing planColdstream - 11:33 am
- BC's child care experimentBC - 11:19 am
- Celebrating HanukkahKelowna - 11:12 am
- Threat aimed at schoolSalmon Arm - 11:05 am
- Calls for Speaker to resignOttawa - 11:02 am