The Vernon Vipers jumped out to a 3-0 lead then held on for a 3-2 victory on the Penticton Vees and a 2-1 lead in their best-of-seven Interior Conference final series.
Andrew Coburn scored twice, including a short-handed marker in the opening period and the eventual game winner in the second. Mike Ullrich also scored for Vernon.
The Vees finally got untracked in the third.
Michael Guzzo short-handed and Deron Cousens cut the deficit to one, but the Vees were unable to get the equalizer past netminder Nick Olynyk.
Neither team had much success on the power-play. The Vees were 0-5 while the Vipers wound up 0-8.
After winning their first nine playoff games, the Vees have now dropped two in a row.
They'll try to even the series Sunday in Vernon.
Vipers Grab Series Lead
More Penticton News
- Workers ratify agreementCanada - 1:25 pm
- Elmore looks to OlympicsKelowna - 1:00 pm
- Castanet's Week in ReviewKelowna - 12:00 pm
- Downtown business burgledKamloops - 12:00 pm
- Aiding others a world awayVernon - 12:00 pm