Police returned to a home on Nickel Road overnight

Police back at Rutland home

UPDATE 6:40 p.m.

Police have issued a brief statement on their presence at a Nickel Road home on Friday night.

Kelowna RCMP say they were called about potential airsoft gun shots in the area.

“Multiple police officers attended and the occupants of a residence on Nickel Road were directed to exit their residence as a safety measure,” said Cap. Judith Bertrand.

“No one was targeted nor injured during the incident and the police intervention.”

No other details were released.

UPDATE 3:18 p.m.

A neighbour of 235 Nickel Road who would like to remain anonymous says they were with their dog at the dog park around 11:00 p.m. when they heard the sound of a gunshot.

The person immediately left the park and went to their neighbour's house who had also heard gunfire in the area, but neither of them could tell what direction it was coming from. That's when they say a red laser mark appeared on her neighbour's deck.

"There were a total of four shots," they explained. "In our complex we have nothing but issues. It is constant every single day. We have people going through our cars, our garbage ... there's constant issues with that house.

"I've never had dealings with the people [in that house], I don't know anybody, so it's not like it was targeted. I think it was just random people being careless and irresponsible ... I don't want to lose an eye."

The neighbour says their son has an air soft business, so they're fairly certain it wasn't actual bullets headed in their direction, but rather pellets or BBs.

"We have no proof [that it came from 235 Nickel Road], but we're getting tired of it. We've had enough, this is every day and we're tired. I can't afford to move or else I would because I don't want my kids around this," they said.


Police responded once again to a home on Nickel Road in Rutland overnight.

Just before midnight, a number of officers reportedly responded to 235 Nickel Road, the same home where a serious baseball bat assault occurred in April.

Police arrived at the home and told those inside to come out, communicating through a loud speaker.

A resident in the area tells Castanet about six to 10 people came out, and it appeared at least some of them were arrested.

Officers entered the home and reportedly removed several firearms from the residence. They stopped pedestrians from walking by the house while the incident was going on.

It's not clear what led to the police response, but Castanet has reached out to the Kelowna RCMP for more information.

In late April, police attended the same home after a 33-year-old man was seriously injured when he was allegedly beaten with a baseball bat. The suspects in that attack had fled the scene before police arrived, and it's not clear if any arrests were ever made.

More Kelowna News