181364
Kelowna  

Pets shouldn't eat substances like pumpkin spice, compost and chocolate, according to the BC SPCA.

Avoid fall toxins for pets

The BC SPCA is reminding pet owners to make sure their four-legged friends stay clear of certain fall items.

According to the SPCA antifreeze tops the list as people start to winterize their cars and boats.

As little as one teaspoon in a cat or a tablespoon or two for dogs, depending on the size of animal, can be fatal.

"Keep your pets far away from antifreeze and clean up any spills of antifreeze on driveways and other hard surfaces. If you see your pet drinking antifreeze, or are at all suspicious that your pet may have had access to antifreeze, contact a veterinarian immediately," the statement said.

While lighting a scented candle is an autumn treat for most, some products can be poisonous for pets.

Candles that are made from paraffin wax, use a lead wick or release synthetic oil and fragrances, can be toxic.

"Fragrances and/or oil can aggravate existing respiratory illnesses like asthma in your pets due to harmful toxins, such as naphthalene or phthalates. Additionally, pets can be susceptible to burns from lit candles and hot wax."

Chocolate and sweets are synonymous with Halloween and Thanksgiving, but, unfortunately, ingesting chocolate can result in significant illness for your dog or cat.

The BC SPCA says chocolate is toxic for your furry friend because it contains both caffeine and a chemical called theobromine; two chemicals that dogs nor cats can metabolize as well as humans.

Xylitol is harmful to dogs because it causes a sudden release of insulin in the body that leads to low blood sugar.

Compost mulch piles are another thing to be aware or according to the SPCA.

If a dog ingests compost, it can result in poisoning since decaying organic matter and molding food products can contain ‘tremorgenic mycotoxins,’ which cause tremors.

Even small amounts ingested can result in tremors or seizures. Signs of ingestion can include drooling, agitation, panting, and vomiting.

Lastly, pumpkin spice is not nice for your pet.

"Pumpkin pie spice is typically a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and either cloves or allspice depending on the blend. It is important to remember that small amounts of these spices added to foods usually will not be toxic to pets, and the risk of toxicity is highest if a pet gets into essential oils or the spices directly."

A large spoonful of dry cinnamon powder could cause respiratory issues for your pet and, cinnamon oil can be toxic even in small amounts.

Nutmeg contains a toxin called myristicin, and though it is not likely to be toxic in small doses, if your pet ingests a very large amount of powder or eats an entire nut, it could cause vomiting, abdominal pain, changes to blood pressure and heart rate and even disorientation, seizures or hallucinations.

Clove oil as well as the clove spice contain compounds called eugenols which can cause liver toxicity in cats. Clove oil may also cause vomiting, tremors or seizures and staggering in cats.



More Kelowna News

180818
RECENT STORIES
179738


181709


181858


180976


Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Petey -Bonded With Bo
Petey -Bonded With Bo Kelowna SPCA >


178057


181655




Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
175844