So far this spring flooding in the Okanagan has been relatively minor but now is the time to prepare if you're property has experienced flooding in past years.
Sandbags are now being made available at Regional District of Central Okanagan fire departments across the region.
Sand and bags are available at several RDCO fire halls for residents who wish to prepare:
- Ellison Station 61 – 4411 Old Vernon Road
- Joe Rich
- Station 51 - 11481 Highway 33 East
- Station 52 – 6550 Goudie Road
- North Westside
- Short’s Creek Station 102 - 7355 Westside Road North
- Killiney Beach Station 101 - 514 Udell Road
- Wilson’s Landing Station 42 – 2396 Westside Road North
Those who live near creeks or streams and have experienced flooding or high water in the past, are responsible for having the equipment needed to protect their properties from potential damage.
Residents are reminded that they should practice safe physical distancing when filling and deploying bags. They are also responsible for proper removal and safe disposal of any sandbags used.
Freshet from rain or melt water is also a serious concern and hillside property owners should be aware of the potential for overland flooding and slides if soil becomes saturated with water.