51763
49831

Kelowna  

Blaze on Bernard

YouTube

UPDATE 6:44 a.m

Platoon Captain Kelly Stephens, with Kelowna Fire, tells Castanet an unattended candle is the culprit in an early morning fire that forced 10 people from their homes on Bernard Avenue.

One person was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation, 8 more people and an infant are reportedly doing well.

Kelly Stephens says the 911 call came in about 12:20 a.m. and when crews arrived on scene flames could be seen shooting into the air from a condo duplex on the 1300 block of Bernard Avenue.

"When we arrived we could see 15, 20 foot flames coming from the rear of the residence. Fortunately all occupants were out of the building upon our arrival."

Crews knocked the fire down from the exterior before moving inside and dousing the remaining flames.

"Turns out it was an unattended candle that started the fire. we had 10 people and one dog and one cat in the duplex that were displaced. They were taken by emergency social services and put up for the rest of the night."

Stephens says one side of the duplex suffered serious damage the other suffered water and smoke damage and the building will have to be inspected later this morning.

"Thank God everyone got out safe and the fire didn't extend past the room of origin."


ORIGINAL 5:15 a.m.

Getting reports of a major Kelowna fire presence on Bernard Avenue and Highland Drive overnight.

Multiple trucks were spotted up and down Bernard after midnite.

Eyewitnesses tell Castanet that emergency crews were seen with approximately 5-6 fire trucks and two ambulances, and police up and down the street.



More Kelowna News

49854
Recent Trending
47812


49792


51806


48491
Okanagan Oldies

Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Galileo (aka Gally)
Galileo (aka Gally) Kelowna SPCA >


40980


51169


Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
50563