Hells Angel dies

UPDATE: 12:16 p.m.

The former second in command of Kelowna's Hells Angels' chapter has died after a lengthy illness, confirmed his lawyer on Sunday.

David Giles died at Abbotsford Regional Hospital on July 1st at the age of 67.

Giles was serving an 18-year prison sentence after being found guilty in B.C. Supreme Court last September of charges of conspiracy to import cocaine, conspiracy to traffic cocaine and possession for the purpose of trafficking cocaine. He was sentenced on Mar. 31st.
"At the sentencing, I had filed materials that confirmed that Mr. Giles was suffering from advanced liver disease, and that the prognosis for his recovery without a liver transplant was very grim," explained Paul Gill, a Vancouver lawyer who represented Giles during the long trial. "His general condition was known to the court and participants throughout the trial, as he had been rushed to hospital on more than a few days as the result of complications from his medical condition."

Giles and fellow Hells Angels involved in the trial were arrested in August 2012 but court delays meant the trial did not start until last year.

Gill said Giles' illness never caused any of the delays.

"Mr. Giles was stoic during the trial, and did not ever complain about his condition or the discomfort that it caused to him during the trial. Except for the days when he was in the hospital, Mr. Giles did not ask for any special consideration, although sitting in the courtroom for those many days was difficult for him – the period from arrest to sentencing was over 4.5 years....Mr. Giles had many flaws, but being a burden was not one of them."

The lawyer said Giles went into the hospital shortly after his sentencing and was even deemed eligible for a liver transplant by his medical specialists and the B.C. transplant agency although that did not occur.

ORIGINAL STORY: 10:41 a.m.

David Giles wasn't in prison for long.

The former vice-president of the Kelowna chapter of the Hells Angels has died, according to a report in the Vancouver Sun.

David Francis Mckinley Giles, born in 1950, was sentenced to 18 years in prison last March on charges of conspiracy to import cocaine, conspiracy to traffic cocaine and possession for the purpose of trafficking cocaine.

He had been found guilty during a B.C. Supreme Court trial in Vancouver last September.

Giles' sentence was said to be the longest ever given to a B.C. Hells Angel member.

He is reported to have passed away on July 1st at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.

Abbotsford Police say they have no record of Giles' death and the correctional manager on duty at Pacific Institution, where he was an inmate, refused to comment.

More Kelowna News

Recent Trending



Soft 103.9

Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Grace Kelowna SPCA >



Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada