Mayhem at Cactus Club

UPDATE: 11:30 a.m. 

Const. Jesse O'Donaghey says the victim of a Wednesday evening assault is currently in hospital in serious condition.

Last night at 8:58 p.m., Kelowna RCMP received a request to assist paramedics responding to a man in medical distress laying on the sidewalk outside Cactus Club on Banks Road.

According to police, the man was unconscious when they arrived and paramedics rushed him to hospital, where he remains in serious condition.

“The Kelowna RCMP is continuing their investigation and are actively following up on leads,” says O'Donaghey.

“Police are seeking witnesses to this altercation and investigators suspect there may be additional witnesses who were at the Cactus Club restaurant at the time of the incident, who have not yet spoken with police.”

Police are asking anyone with any information regarding this incident to come forward and contact the Kelowna RCMP tip line at 250-250-470-6236.

Remain anonymous by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, leaving a tip online at www.crimestoppers.net or by texting your tip to CRIMES (274637) ktown.

ORIGINAL: 10:45 a.m.

An altercation outside Cactus Club restaurant Wednesday night left one man unresponsive and many others scratching their heads.

Restaurant patron Damjan Madjar said he was leaving the establishment about 9 p.m. and hadn’t noticed anything strange before exiting.

“We walked out and we saw the manager doing CPR and pumping the chest of a man lying on the ground,” he explained. “The server was on the phone with the cops.”

He was told there had been a fight outside, but there seemed to be no witnesses who actually saw what happened.

Madjar said he watched the manager perform CPR for almost 20 minutes on the man, who was lying at the bottom steps of the entrance, before police arrived. It was another 10 minutes before the ambulance came on scene.

“I think he got punched and fell on the ground and wasn’t breathing. I didn’t see any blood, he was white, it was freaky.”

He believed the victim to be about 20-years-old.

“I didn’t see anyone with him, he had no friends around,” Madjar said.

Another witness told Castanet police taped off the area around Cactus Club while investigating.

Madjar said he heard the young man was transported to hospital and revived.

Castanet will have more information as it becomes available.

The Kelowna RCMP is expected to release details on the incident later today. 


Comments are pre-moderated to ensure they meet our guidelines. Approval times will vary. Keep it civil, and stay on topic. If you see an inappropriate comment, please use the ‘flag’ feature. Comments are the opinions of the comment writer, not of Castanet. Comments remain open for one day after a story is published and are closed on weekends. Visit Castanet’s Forums to start or join a discussion about this story.

More Kelowna News