201665
Kelowna  

Burned soup sparks alarm

The Kelowna Fire Department was called to Kiwanis Tower Monday afternoon following reports of smoke in the building.

Platoon Capt. Tim Light said crews responded to 911 calls and a smoke alarm on the eighth floor just before 4 p.m. Light said the first crew on the scene smelled smoke and narrowed down the source to a specific apartment.

Crews then obtained a key from the building manager and entered the unit, where they found a pot of food on the stove. Some residents evacuated the building, but several could be seen watching the goings on from their balconies.

Light said the woman who lives in the apartment said she put a broth on the stove at a low temperature and went to work.

The unidentified woman was not home at the time, and there were no injuries or damage to the unit or building.

Fire crews vented the apartment.

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments are pre-moderated to ensure they meet our guidelines. Approval times will vary. Keep it civil, and stay on topic. If you see an inappropriate comment, please use the ‘flag’ feature. Comments are the opinions of the comment writer, not of Castanet. Comments remain open for one day after a story is published and are closed on weekends. Visit Castanet’s Forums to start or join a discussion about this story.



More Kelowna News

195279