184070
183125
Kelowna  

Car fire melts garage door

If not for the quick thinking of a passerby, a Glenmore home may have gone up in flames.

The unnamed person noticed a car on fire, outside of a home on Lindsay Drive just before 11 p.m. Wednesday night. They alerted the three people sleeping inside the home, who were able to escape unharmed, along with their cat, according to Platoon Captain Kelly Stephens of the Kelowna Fire Department.

Stephens says they found a car with flames coming from the engine compartment upon arrival, and flames beginning to melt the plastic on a garage door, only a few feet away.

They were able to quickly put the fire out, but were forced to ventilate the home for smoke.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a malfunctioning block heater in the car. 

A total of 17 firefighters and three engines attended the scene, along with BC Ambulance and the RCMP.

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments are pre-moderated to ensure they meet our guidelines. Approval times will vary. Keep it civil, and stay on topic. If you see an inappropriate comment, please use the ‘flag’ feature. Comments are the opinions of the comment writer, not of Castanet. Comments remain open for one day after a story is published and are closed on weekends. Visit Castanet’s Forums to start or join a discussion about this story.



More Kelowna News

181119