RESP spending options

You’re finally ready to start tapping into the investments you’ve been building in that Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) you’ve nurtured over the years. Here are some ideas on how to get the most from it.


1.  Know your options

Once your child is enrolled in an eligible program you can withdraw plan contributions tax-free and use them any way you wish – to support your child or even for your personal purchases. (If your RESP is a “group RESP”, then there may be further restrictions on contribution withdrawals.)


2.  Know your limits

Educational Assistance Payments (EAPs) consist of the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG), 1 the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), and the income you’ve earned on the investments within the RESP. In most cases, the government restricts the withdrawal of EAPs to a maximum of $5,000 in the first 13 weeks of your child's educational program. In some cases, the limit may be $2,500 per 13-week period. EAPs must be used to ‘further’ your child’s post-secondary education, and thus can be used to pay for numerous things including tuition, school/student fees, textbooks and even ‘reasonable’ costs for moving, rent, food, and transportation.

You can request the permission of the Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada to exceed the $5,000 or $2,500 limits on EAP withdrawals. Make your request in writing through your RESP promoter, and send it in as early as possible.


3.  Avoid paybacks

If there is any money remaining in your plan after your child's post-secondary program has been completed, you may be required to refund some of the CESG monies your plan had received. To avoid any potential CESG paybacks, be sure to deplete your plan's earnings first by withdrawing EAPs before contributions.


4.  Take advantage of left-overs

Any contributions remaining in the plan after your student finishes college or university are yours to use as you wish – transfer them to another child’s plan or withdraw them for personal use.


5.  Be tax-savvy

Remember that EAPs will be taxed as part of your child's income -- a tax advantage if your child's income is low.


An RESP is a great way to help offset the cost of a post secondary education – and there are other steps you can take to ensure your financial stability and achieve a debt-free education for your children. Talk to your professional advisor about the best financial steps for your situation.

1The Canada Education Savings Grant and Canada Learning Bond are provided by the Government of Canada. CLB eligibility depends on family income levels. Some provinces make education savings grants available to their residents.


This column, written and published by Investors Group Financial Services Inc. (in Québec – a Financial Services Firm), and Investors Group Securities Inc. (in Québec, a firm in Financial Planning) presents general information only and is not a solicitation to buy or sell any investments. Contact your own advisor for specific advice about your circumstances. For more information on this topic please contact your Investors Group Consultant.

More Financial Planning Made Easy articles

About the Author

As a Regional Director at Investors Group it is my mission to grow the Okanagan Region of Investors Group. I help recruit, train and develop Consultants at Investors Group. I am always looking for professionals that would like to be their own boss and enjoy the training, support, rewards and compensation for being a successful Consultant. Also ensuring that we continue to be involved in the community in which we live.

As a Financial Consultant it is my passion to serve clients by giving them full financial planning advice. This includes investments, insurance, retirement & estate planning and tax reduction strategies.

Connect with me on LinkedIn:

Click here to visit my website.

Contact Karen by email at:  [email protected]


The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet does not warrant the contents.

Previous Stories