178817
177417
Entertainment  

Rod Stewart and son Sean's battery trial cancelled after deal reached

Rod Stewart trial cancelled

Rod Stewart and his son Sean are allegedly no longer facing a jail after a judge cancelled a trial in respect of their pending simple battery court case.

The hearing was scheduled for October to discuss a plea deal to resolve charges stemming from a 2019 New Year's Eve altercation with a hotel security guard in Florida nearly two years ago.

According to court papers obtained by Mail Online, the hearing with Judge August Bonavita is set for Oct. 22 regarding a plea agreement to close the case without them needing to appear in court.

The trial had been scheduled to begin Tuesday but was cancelled on Thursday.

If convicted, the 76-year-old, and his son, 40, who pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor counts in early 2020, were facing a year in jail, or probation and a $1,000 fine.

"A resolution that's acceptable to all parties has been reached," their attorney Guy Fronstin told Mail Online. "It will result in no jail time for both my clients."

"He's a first-time offender," said Fronstin, "It's just silly to send him to jail."

The Stewarts' battery charges have taken long to resolve because of the pandemic and settlement negotiations.

Earlier this year the Stewarts agreed to a plea deal to settle their battery case following the brawl, although the terms of the agreement have not been released.

The Maggie May hitmaker and Sean were charged with simple battery after allegedly attacking Jessie Dixon, a member of the security team at The Breakers hotel in Palm Beach, where the Stewarts had been denied access to a private party.



More Entertainment News





168751
RECENT STORIES
179215




179353
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
179777



179730