'Her voice was stolen'

Thelma Favel woke up every morning before going to the Winnipeg courthouse, looked around her room and wondered what her grand-niece might have thought when she stayed in the same hotel in her final weeks alive.

During the second-degree murder trial for Raymond Cormier — the man acquitted last month of killing Tina Fontaine — Favel wanted to put herself in the teenage girl's shoes.

Favel stayed in the same downtown hotel where the young girl was placed by Child and Family Services and walked the same streets where Tina was last seen alive.

"I just found strength every day to get up and go. I walked the hallways, wondering which room she was in," Favel told The Canadian Press. "I just felt so close to her there."

Tina spent much of her young life living with Favel on the Sagkeeng First Nation, north of Winnipeg. She was a kind girl who liked to study math and science, Favel said. She had a lot of friends and never got into trouble.

But after her father was murdered in 2011, Tina had difficulty coping. She left the First Nation in June 2014 to reconnect with her mother in Winnipeg. When Favel didn't hear from the girl, she called Child and Family Services for help.

In the following weeks, 15-year-old Tina disappeared multiple times, returned to government care and was placed in a hotel.

Her 72-pound body, wrapped in a duvet cover and weighed down by rocks, was pulled from the Red River that August.

Her death renewed calls for a national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and inspired volunteer groups such as the Bear Clan Patrol to protect the vulnerable on the streets.

Favel said she had faith in the justice system as she sat in court nearly every day throughout the more than three-week trial. She listened to testimony from experts and from people who knew Tina in Winnipeg. She heard audio of Cormier himself, recorded by police during a six-month undercover operation.

When Tina's voice from a 911 call was played in court, Favel said she "just wanted to hear her over and over and over again."

"Tina was with me. She was there with me every single day and I had my rosaries around my hand every day. That's where I got my strength. I had to do it for Tina," said Favel, breaking into tears.

"Her voice was stolen. She was silenced forever so I had to be there to be her pillar of hope, to get justice for her. Even that I failed at."

More Canada News

Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill Webcam
Recent Trending
Okanagan Oldies
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada