Ripudaman Singh Malik, man acquitted in Air India bombing, killed in B.C.: son

Air India acquittee killed

UPDATE 5:35 p.m.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) is calling on the public to help further its investigation into the homicide of Ripudaman Singh Malik.

On July 14, at 9:26 a.m., the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a shooting at 12294 82 Avenue, Surrey.

Surrey RCMP first responders attended the location and found the male victim, identified as 75 year-old Malik, having sustained fatal injuries. IHIT has taken conduct of the investigation and are working closely in partnership with the Surrey RCMP, BC Coroner’s Service and the RCMP Forensic Identification Section.

A burned vehicle was located nearby in the area of 82 Avenue and 122a Street, Surrey, which is being held by investigators and is believed to be associated.

“We are aware of Mr. Malik’s background, though at this time we are still working to determine the motive. We can confirm that the shooting appears to be targeted and there is not believed to be any further risk to the public,” says Sergeant Timothy Pierotti of IHIT. “Having occurred in a residential area, we are confident that witnesses exist that could help us further this investigation. We urge them to come forward immediately and without delay.”

IHIT is asking that any witnesses or anyone traveling in the area of 122 Street and 82 Avenue between 9:15 a.m. and 10 a.m. with dash cameras or who has any information regarding the homicide of Malik is asked to contact the IHIT Information Line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or by email at [email protected]

ORIGINAL 11:58 a.m.

Ripudaman Singh Malik, one of two men acquitted in the 1985 Air India terrorist bombing, has been killed in a targeted shooting in Surrey, B.C.

An employee who works at a nearby car wash said he heard shots on Thursday morning and ran outside to find Malik unconscious in his car.

"There were three gunshots. One hit him on the neck, that's it. And I just took him out of his red Tesla. He was alive," said the man, who didn't want to be named because of safety concerns.

Police arrived in about 10 to 15 minutes, he said, and an ambulance took longer.

The man said he knew Malik as a customer at the car wash and because he had a business nearby.

Jaspreet Malik confirmed the death in a statement on social media, saying his father came to Canada in 1972 and was committed to his community and family, including his wife, five children and eight grandchildren.

"The media will always refer to him as someone charged with the Air India bombing, Malik said. "The media and RCMP never seemed to accept the court's decision and I pray today's tragedy is not related."

Sarj Basra, owner of the Auto Shine Car Wash and Detail, wasn't at work when the shooting happened but said it's upsetting and scary that something like that would happen in their neighbourhood.

"Someone we know has passed away to violence," Basra said.

"He was always joking. You know, always coming in here, talking to us, standing around," he said adding many of Malik's vehicles were serviced at his business.

Asaf Gill, who owns a carpet business, said he had an appointment with Malik about a half-hour before he was killed.

"But then I come here and find this," he said of yellow police tape that surrounded the scene where a tight-knit business community was in shock.

RCMP said in a news release that a man died in what appeared to be a targeted attack, but they did not name the victim.

Police said a vehicle believed to be used in the shooting was found engulfed in fire a few blocks away.

"The investigation is in the early stages and police are still looking for the suspects and a second vehicle that may have been used as getaway vehicle."

Malik and his co-accused, Ajaib Singh Bagri, were found not guilty in March 2005 of murder and conspiracy in a pair of Air India bombings that killed 331 people on June 23, 1985.

B.C. Supreme Court heard during the trial that a suitcase bomb was loaded onto a plane at Vancouver's airport and then transferred in Toronto to Air India Flight 182.

The aircraft crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Ireland, killing 329 passengers and crew.

About an hour later, a bomb destined for another Air India plane exploded prematurely at Tokyo's Narita Airport, where two baggage handlers died.

Inderjit Singh Reyat, the only man convicted in the bombings, testified for the Crown at Malik and Bagri's trial and was later convicted of perjury.

Deepak Khandelwal of Oakville, Ont., was 17 when his sisters, 21-year-old Chandra and 19-year-old Manju, were killed when Flight 182 fell from the sky.

"It's like a nightmare that never stops giving," he said about the many years it took for the trial to start, the missteps made by police during the investigation and an inquiry into Canada's worst mass murder.

"It just brings back all the horrible memories we'd had to go through for the last 37 years," said Khandelwal, whose family was living in Saskatoon when the bombings happened.

"I was supposed to be on the flight as well," he said. "I actually just cancelled a couple of days beforehand because I was finishing Grade 12 and got a scholarship to go to a program at the University of Calgary. And so, I chose to do that instead of going to my uncle's wedding."

More BC News