COVID hospitalizations dropped slightly Wednesday, by 3.6 per cent.
The province is reporting 2,086 new COVID-19 cases in B.C. in the past 24 hours, bringing the province's active cases to 30,058. Of these cases, 949 people are now hospitalized, a decrease of 36 since Tuesday. Of these, 144 people are now being treated in intensive care, a drop of eight.
Active cases in the province dropped by 2,410 since Tuesday.
Of Wednesday's new cases, 455 came from the Interior. There are now 7,434 active cases in the region.
Another 21 new COVID deaths have been reported throughout B.C. in the past 24 hours, including 10 in Fraser Health, six in Vancouver Coastal Health and five in Island Health. To date, 2,575 British Columbians have died after contracting COVID-19.
The new/active cases include:
- 780 new cases in Fraser Health — Total active cases: 12,776
- 464 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health — Total active cases: 6,873
- 455 new cases in Interior Health — Total active cases: 7,434
- 168 new cases in Northern Health — Total active cases: 1,186
- 219 new cases in Island Health — Total active cases: 1,781
There have been five new healthcare facility outbreaks in B.C. There are now 61 ongoing outbreaks at healthcare facilities across the province.
In the past 24 hours, 45,195 doses of the vaccine were administered in B.C. As of Friday, 89.6% of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.6% have received their second dose. To date, 41.3% of all eligible people 12 and older have received their third booster dose.
From Jan. 18-24, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 28.2% of cases and from Jan. 11-24, they accounted for 29.9% of hospitalizations.
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 18-24)
- Not vaccinated: 410.5
- Partially vaccinated: 201.6
- Fully vaccinated: 233.9
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 11-24)
- Not vaccinated: 85.2
- Partially vaccinated: 51.4
- Fully vaccinated: 20.0
Past week cases (Jan. 18-24) - Total 13,400
- Not vaccinated: 2,996 (22.4%)
- Partially vaccinated: 778 (5.8%)
- Fully vaccinated: 9,626 (71.8%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Jan. 11-24) - Total 1,328
- Not vaccinated: 334 (25.2%)
- Partially vaccinated: 63 (4.7%)
- Fully vaccinated: 931 (70.1%)