Intersection cameras will soon catch and automatically ticket speeders at two busy Kelowna intersections.
The province announced Tuesday that 35 intersections across B.C. will have cameras tweaked to catch the worst leadfoots.
Two of the 35 will be in Kelowna, at the Harvey and Cooper, and Highway 97 and Banks Road intersections.
Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth says crashes are happening at a record pace.
“More than 900 a day in our province and about 60 per cent of the crashes on our roads are at intersections," he said in a press release.
Speed and crash data from 140 red-light Intersection Safety Camera program sites was analyzed.
”We've taken time to systematically pinpoint the locations linked to crashes and dangerous speeds that are best suited to safely catching, ticketing and changing the behaviours of those who cause carnage on B.C. roads,” said Farnworth.
Starting this summer, new warning signs will be added and technology will be installed to ticket registered owners of vehicles entering the intersections well over the posted limit on a red, yellow or green light.
Between 2012 and 2016, an average of 10,500 vehicles a year travel at least 30 kilometres per hour over the posted speed limit, as detected by red-light cameras.
A list of all the intersections that will automatically ticket speeders is listed below:
- Route 11 at Lonzo Road
- Kingsway at Boundary Road
- Kingsway at Royal Oak Avenue
- Willingdon at Deer Lake
- Barnet Highway at Mariner Way
- Nordel Way at 84th Avenue
- Harvey Avenue at Cooper Road
- Highway 97 North at Banks Road
- 200th Street at 64th Avenue
- Route 10 at Fraser Highway
- Lougheed Highway at 207th Avenue
- Island Highway at Aulds Road
- Marine Drive at Capilano Road
- Lougheed Highway at Old Dewdney Trunk Road
- Lougheed Highway at Shaughnessy Street
- Garden City Road at Cambie Road
- 128th Street at 88th Avenue
- 152nd Street at 96th Avenue
- 152nd Street at King George Boulevard
- 64th Avenue at 152nd Street
- 96th Avenue at 132nd Street
- King George Boulevard at 104th Avenue
- King George Boulevard at 80th Avenue
- Boundary Road at East 49th Avenue
- East Hastings Street at Main Street
- East Hastings Street at Renfrew Street
- Grandview Highway at Rupert Street
- Granville Street at West King Edward Avenue
- Kingsway at Joyce Street
- Kingsway at Victoria Drive
- Knight Street at East 33rd Avenue
- Oak Street at West 57th Avenue
- Oak Street at West 70th Avenue
- Southeast Marine Drive at Kerr Street
- West Georgia Street at Cardero Street