Firefighters fought more than flames at house fire in Surrey early Tuesday.
The fire at a duplex near King George Boulevard and 108th Avenue disturbed a wasp or hornet nest, sending a swarm of the insects into attack mode.
Several firefighters and neighbours were stung.
"No injures, as far as I know," Surrey Fire Batt. Chief Gary McHarg told CTV. "Although they did say there's a hornets nest around here somewhere, and a few people have gotten stung."
The fire started about 3 a.m.
"I heard just like a pop, and so I got up to see what was going on," said neighbour Fracoise Mihatov. "I could see the red, and the sky was red in front of my window, so when I got to the window I could see the flames shooting out of the house next door."
One unit of the duplex is badly damaged, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
– with files from CTV Vancouver