46695
45810

Kelowna  

Furnaces firing up Fire Department

A dirty furnace has once again led to the Kelowna Fire Department being called out in large numbers.

Around 10:30 Friday night the patrons of Cheetah's nightclub on Lawrence Avenue were forced out into the street when a puff of black smoke poured from the heating system.

"They hadn't cleaned their furnace," says Platoon Captain Dale Calhoun.

"The furnace kicked on last night and a puff of black smoke came through there, which is just (from) dust collection. They just turned off their furnaces and are going to get them cleaned this morning and take a look and see if there was any damage."

The staff and patrons were kept outside as fire crews inspected the interior to see if it was safe to return.

"We checked it out and had them out there a while and then allowed them back in. There was enough heat in the building that they were still comfortable for the rest of the night."

Calhoun says this is the third time in the last 48 hours the Kelowna Fire Department has responded to an incident involving a dirty furnace, including Friday afternoon on Royal View Drive.

"It's that time of year where the furnaces are starting to kick on and I just want to remind everybody to get them serviced and cleaned up."



More Kelowna News

Recent Trending
47098


45192
47072


44108


Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Trent
Trent Kelowna SPCA >


45191


44897


Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
36427