Kamloops drug users warned about risk of stimulant overdose

IH issues overdose alert

Interior Health has issued a drug alert for users in the Kamloops area.

According to IH, crystals and powder sold as ketamine has been found to contain up to 75 per cent methamphetamine, posing a risk for stimulant overdose.

“Symptoms include irregular heartbeat, chest pain, difficulty sleeping and agitation,” IH said in a warning posted online.

“Methamphetamine lasts much longer than ketamine.”

Users are encouraged to check their drugs before using and crush drugs into a fine powder to avoid hot spots.

The alert will remain in effect until Feb. 10.

For more information, click here.

More Kamloops News