201634
Kelowna  

Kelowna Fire Department called to Black Mountain home for report of a bedroom fire

Candle sets dresser on fire

Kelowna fires crews were called to a report of a structure fire Thursday afternoon.

At approximately 4:30 p.m., the Kelowna Fire Department Regional Dispatch Centre received a 911 call reporting a fire in a bedroom of a single-family home in the 1400 block of Mine Hill Lane, in Kelowna’s Black Mountain area.

Platoon Cpt. John Kelly said in a release, the first arriving officer reported smoke coming from the soffit area at the front of the home.

Crews discovered a small fire on the dresser in the front bedroom, which was quickly extinguished. The home was then ventilated of residual smoke.

Damage was contained to the bedroom and the fire was deemed accidental. There were no injuries.

The Kelowna Fire Department responded with three engines, a rescue unit, command vehicle and 17 personnel.

“Please remember to exercise caution when using candles and not leave them unattended,” Kelly said, adding working smoke alarms do save lives and property.



More Kelowna News



195279