COVID-positive hospitalizations in B.C. have decreased slightly since Thursday, while another 15 COVID-positive people died.
The province is reporting 2,150 new COVID-19 cases discovered in B.C. in the past 24 hours, bringing the province's active cases to 34,835. Of these cases, 891 people are now hospitalized, a decrease of four since Wednesday, and 119 people are now being treated in intensive care, an increase of four.
Active cases dropped by 935 since Wednesday.
Of Thursday's new cases, 563 came from the Interior. There are now 6,067 active cases in the region, and 100 people are hospitalized, including 17 in ICU.
Another 15 new COVID deaths have been reported throughout B.C. in the past 24 hours, including two in Interior Health, five in Fraser Health, four in Vancouver Coastal Health and four in Island Health. To date, 2,520 British Columbians have died after contracting COVID-19.
The new/active cases include:
- 576 new cases in Fraser Health — Total active cases: 16,516
- 454 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health — Total active cases: 8,553
- 563 new cases in Interior Health — Total active cases: 6,067
- 203 new cases in Northern Health — Total active cases: 1,582
- 354 new cases in Island Health — Total active cases: 2,104
There has been eight new healthcare facility outbreaks in B.C., including at Penticton's Westview Place long term care home. There are now 58 ongoing outbreaks at healthcare facilities across the province.
In the past 24 hours, 59,042 doses of the vaccine were administered in B.C. As of Friday, 89.4% of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.5% have received their second dose. To date, 36.7% of all eligible people 12 and older have received their third booster dose.
From Jan. 12-18, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 27.0% of cases and from Jan. 5-18, they accounted for 31.0% of hospitalizations.
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 12-18)
- Not vaccinated: 420.1
- Partially vaccinated: 191.4
- Fully vaccinated: 302.3
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 5-18)
- Not vaccinated: 72.1
- Partially vaccinated: 44.5
- Fully vaccinated: 16.5
Past week cases (Jan. 12-18) - Total 14,677
- Not vaccinated: 3,264 (22.2%)
- Partially vaccinated: 703 (4.8%)
- Fully vaccinated: 10,710 (73.0%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Jan. 5-18) - Total 1,112
- Not vaccinated: 290 (26.1%)
- Partially vaccinated: 55 (4.9%)
- Fully vaccinated: 767 (69.0%)