COVID-positive hospitalizations in British Columbia have increased by almost five per cent Wednesday.
There have been 2,387 new COVID-19 cases identified in B.C. in the past 24 hours, bringing the province's active cases to 35,770. Of these cases, 895 people are now hospitalized, an increase of 41 since Tuesday, and 115 people are being treated in intensive care, an increase of three.
Active cases dropped by 1,397 since Tuesday.
Of Wednesday's new cases, 550 came from the Interior. There are now 5,769 active cases in the region, and 99 people are hospitalized, including 17 in ICU.
Another 13 new COVID deaths have been reported throughout B.C. in the past 24 hours, including one in Interior Health, six in Fraser Health, four in Vancouver Coastal Health and two in Island Health. To date, 2,505 British Columbians have died after contracting COVID-19.
The new/active cases include:
- 814 new cases in Fraser Health — Total active cases: 17,441
- 487 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health — Total active cases: 8,945
- 550 new cases in Interior Health — Total active cases: 5,769
- 260 new cases in Northern Health — Total active cases: 1,504
- 275 new cases in Island Health — Total active cases: 2,095
There has been five new healthcare facility outbreaks in B.C., including one at Cranbrook's Joseph Creek Care Village. There are now 56 ongoing outbreaks at healthcare facilities across the province.
In the past 24 hours, 59,169 doses of the vaccine were administered in B.C. As of Friday, 89.3% of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.4% have received their second dose. To date, 35.5% of all eligible people 12 and older have received their third booster dose.
From Jan. 11-17, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 25.9% of cases and from Jan. 4-17, they accounted for 31.8% of hospitalizations.
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 11-17)
- Not vaccinated: 428.5
- Partially vaccinated: 186.4
- Fully vaccinated: 311.5
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 4-17)
- Not vaccinated: 70.5
- Partially vaccinated: 41.4
- Fully vaccinated: 15.5
Past week cases (Jan. 11-17) - Total 14,934
- Not vaccinated: 3,208 (21.5%)
- Partially vaccinated: 662 (4.4%)
- Fully vaccinated: 11,064 (74.1%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Jan. 4-17) - Total 1,062
- Not vaccinated: 286 (26.9%)
- Partially vaccinated: 52 (4.9%)
- Fully vaccinated: 724 (68.2%)