174845
Kelowna  

Interior Health advises people not to swim in, or drink water from Wood Lake due to an algae bloom

Stay out of Wood Lake

Residents and visitors to the Central Okanagan are reminded to stay out of Wood Lake.

The reminder from Interior Health is due to a large algae bloom that has been taking place for over a month now.

An advisory from the health authority asks people not to drink, swim or bathe in the lake. You are also advised to keep pets and other animals away from the lake.

"The blue-green algae bloom, which can look like a thick sludge in some parts of the lake, can cause the water to become dangerous to people, pets and livestock very quickly," IH says in a news release.

It is recommended you:

  • Assume the water is not safe for drinking for people or animals. People with water intakes on Wood Lake should use an alternate source of drinking water. Boiling the water will not remove any of the toxins created by the blue-green algae bloom.
  • Do not swim or bathe in the lake.
  • Keep your animals away from the lake. Livestock and pet owners should not allow their animals to go in the water.

"Swimming or drinking algae-bloom affected water can cause headaches, nausea, fever, muscle aches, mouth ulcers, red skin, sore throat, cramps or diarrhea.

"If you are showing any of the symptoms listed above and believe they may be from exposure to blue-green algae, see a health-care provider."



More Kelowna News

173612