169203
166442
Kamloops  

Judge allows Kamloops Mounties to keep evidence seized following reported shooting

Extra time to keep evidence

A judge has given police extra time to hold on to a sawed-off shotgun found hidden inside the wall of a North Kamloops home last year after a 911 call reporting a man opening fire on a moving car.

Mounties were called to a home in the 400-block of Fortune Drive on Sept. 26 for a report of an armed man chasing a car and firing at least one shot.

When police arrived, they became involved in a brief standoff with the alleged gunman. Eventually, two people were arrested and a search warrant was obtained allowing investigators to look through their home.

According RCMP Const. Sean Odermatt, the search turned up about $1,000 in cash, a sawed-off shotgun, ammunition, two imitation firearms, methamphetamine, drug-dealing records and a Taser, as well as personal documents. Odermatt said the shotgun was found hidden inside a wall.

In Kamloops provincial court on Thursday, Odermatt asked Judge Ray Phillips for an order allowing police to keep the seized items despite the fact no charges have been laid nearly four months later.

Typically, police have three months to either lay charges or return seized items. Odermatt said he needed more time because he has been busy with other police work.

“Part of it is juggling multiple large case files I have currently,” he said when asked by Phillips.

The two suspects were aware of Thursday’s hearing but did not show. Odermatt asked for permission to keep the evidence until December 2021.

Phillips asked the constable why he needed to keep the items.

“It’s just to continue the investigation with the firearm, to determine the next steps with that,” Odermatt replied.

Phillips ordered Mounties could keep the seized items until Sept. 27 — one year to the day after the warrant was executed.



More Kamloops News

167913