Kelowna Rockets fell 4-3 in overtime to Everett Friday

Everett stop Rockets in OT

The Kelowna Rockets were a vastly different team Friday than the one Prospera Place fans saw nearly two weeks ago.

Offensively, they were fast, tenacious on the forecheck and went hard to the net at every opportunity. Despite some awkward moments defensively, they moved the puck quicker and transitioned more effectively.

Despite the effort, the Rockets came up a goal short, falling 4-3 to the visiting Everett Silvertips in overtime.

The point means interim head coach Kris Mallette has yet to taste defeat in regulation time, guiding the club to a 3-0-1-1 record since taking over 10 days ago.

Connor McDonald ensured the Rockets would get at least a point with a power play goal with 19.8 seconds left in regulation time. McDonald's wrist shot from the mid point beat Dustin Wolfe cleanly.

But, an untimely interference penalty by Kaeden Korczak at 19:58 put the Tips on the power play to open up overtime.

Captain Bryce Kindopp, who left the game briefly in the first period after a hard collision with Matthew Wedman, banged home his own rebound 49 seconds into sudden death to earn the Silvertips the extra point.

"We competed against a very good hockey team for 60 minutes," said Mallette.

"Obviously, not the way you want to lose, but I'm happy. The guys did a lot of real good things again."

Everett scored on its first shot of the game just three minutes in, and held the slight advantage through the first half of the game, despite some good chances at both ends of the rink.

The Rockets finally broke through just past the midway point of the second when defenceman Elias Carmichael tapped home his second at the end of a pretty three-way passing play with Jack Poole and Kyle Topping.

The Tips retook the lead moments later, and appeared to go up two in the latter moments of the second.

Cole Fonstad let go a one-timer off a backdoor pass in the low slot, but Roman Basran dove cross crease to get a glove on the puck and keep it a one-goal game.

"It was basically just all reaction. Obviously, I dropped before the pass was made, and it was one of those instinct things that happen once or twice a year," said Basran.

"He really shot it right into my glove. It wasn't really that big of a save."

Everett did built the lead to 3-1 eight minutes into the third but, as they did during their four-game road trip, the Rockets battled back.

Mark Liwiski, powering his way through the slot, muscled a pass five-hole to cut the deficit to one. Then, on the power play, McDonald forced overtime with his sixth.

"Right now, we're just trying to find out what our identity is," said Mallette.

"It's been successful of late for us to be able to get the puck down low and crash and bang and score some goals in the blue paint. We want to have the puck all the time, and our guys I thought really worked hard to get it tonight."

Kelowna, still with several players out with injury, lost Dillon Hamaliuk during the second period to an unknown injury.

Mallette was unable to update his status following the game.

The Rockets and Silvertips complete their home-and home Saturday night in Everett.

After that, the Rockets get a week off to practice, something the team hasn't had a chance to do under the new coaching regime.

They'll show off their new look Friday against Seattle.

More WHL articles