148809
147047

BC  

Deadly 'shrooms kill puppy

The public is being reminded of the danger posed by death cap mushrooms after a 16-week-old puppy suspected of eating them died.

Victoria Humane Society executive director Penny Stone said the family that owned the puppy couldn’t afford the treatment when it got sick.

“They surrendered it to the vet clinic and the vet clinic called us,” she said.

The society stepped in and took on the cost.

“Unfortunately, it wasn’t the outcome we were hoping for,” Stone said. “But we wanted to give him the chance to get some blood transfusions and try and make sure that he had a fighting chance.

“You’re hoping that you can get it in time, flush his system.”

Death cap or Amanita phalloides mushrooms can also kill people, and a Victoria three-year-old died after eating one in 2016.

The mushrooms have some telltale characteristics that set them apart from other fungi, including a greeny-bronze colour to the cap, a veil around the stem, white gills and a large bulb under the ground.



More BC News

BC
Vancouver Webcam
Webcam provided by webcams.travel
145991
Recent Trending
148873
Soft 103.9
148136
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
146953



138242
149324