If you are flying today or any time soon there are a few holiday tips to make your flying holiday trips smooth sailing.
Kelowna International Airport is busy preparing for yet another busy holiday season and expects more than 100,000 passengers during the next three weeks.
“Passengers are advised to plan in advance and prepare for longer than normal wait times at the airport, in order to reduce travel-related stress,” said YLW spokesperson Jessica Hewitt.
A steady traffic flow is anticipated from Dec. 14 through Jan. 6.
“The busiest travel days of the season will be Dec. 21 through Dec. 27,” said Hewitt.
Here are a few tips from the airport on how to make your travel experience as easy as possible:
Consider alternative transportation
- YLW is expected to reach full capacity during this peak period. Alternative transportation to the airport such as taxi and limousine services, airport shuttles, public transit or having a friend drop them off is recommended.
Explore parking options
- Those who need to park at YLW should follow signage and parking lot staff directions and there is a cell phone waiting area near the airport plaza.
Arrive at the airport early
- The airport terminal building opens at 3:30 a.m. with check-in counters for most airlines, security screening and food services available at 4 a.m. You should arrive at 90 minutes before your departure time for domestic flights.
Know what you can bring through security screening
- Avoid surrendering items and guarantee that your valuables make it through security screening.
Confirm your airline’s identification requirements and pet policies
- Check with your airline to ensure you have the required identification and valid travel documentation for everyone, including children.