Family of five in hospital

UPDATE: 11:11 a.m.

Five members of a family have been transported to hospital in Vancouver after a carbon monoxide incident in Barriere this morning. 

A spokesperson from BCEHS tells Castanet that they are all in serious but stable condition. 

The call came in shortly before 7:30 a.m.

Paramedics were on the scene within ten minutes of the call. 

Details around what led to the carbon monoxide poisoning have not been released. 

Possible household causes of carbon monoxide leaks range from cars, fireplaces or wood stoves to kerosene space heaters, charcoal grills, and gas appliances like as water heaters, ovens, and dryers.

What makes carbon monoxide so dangerous is that when you breathe it, it replaces the oxygen in your blood. Without oxygen, cells throughout the body die, and the organs stop working.

ORIGINAL: 9:38 a.m.

BC Emergency Health Services is reporting on Twitter that paramedics have responded to an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning this morning at a home in Barriere. 

According to the tweet, two ground ambulances and two air ambulances responded to a call at 7:20 a.m. 

Carbon monoxide has been confirmed in the home. 

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colourless gas produced when fuel is burned.

Because you can’t smell it, you can be poisoned before you have time to get to safety. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause death in as little as one to three minutes. Even when it’s not fatal, acute and long-term exposure to CO can cause serious health problems.

Castanet will have more information as it becomes available.

It is the second straight day paramedics in B.C. have responded to an incident of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Yesterday in Vancouver 13 people were taken to hospital and two of them were in critical condition after carbon monoxide poisoning.

More Kamloops News


Recent Trending




Send us your News Tips!

Soft 103.9

Kamloops SPCA Featured Pet

Bella Kamloops SPCA >


Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada