Dog alerts home of fire

Colton Davies

UPDATE: 12:20 p.m.

Three Penticton residents are displaced after a fire tore through a home early Wednesday morning.

Fire crews were called to a home on Finnerty Road at about 3:15 a.m. when the blaze broke out. The home was fully involved in flames when they arrived, and it took more than an hour to put it out.

The occupants of the property were woken up by their dog when the fire started. They all got out safely, but a neighbour says the family cat is still missing.

Captain Mike Richards with the Penticton Fire Department says the point of origin is believed to be from a lower backyard patio. He says no foul play is suspected at this point.

"There's quite a bit of debris, so our next steps will be to excavate that and see if we can find an actual point of origin.

There was no wind when the fire occurred, and amazingly it was contained to one home.

"It just took off, (the home) was totally engulfed in flames in no time," next door neighbour Donna Lalonde said. She praised the work done by fire crews and police when the blaze was burning.

The fire victims are staying in another neighbour’s home for the time being.

Lalonde says her next door neighbours are great all-around people and called them super neighbours.

She says the neighbourhood is doing whatever they can to offer their support.

"We've been out there since 3 o'clock in the morning with them... Everybody in our neighbourhood is trying to help out and do whatever we can to make this a little easier for them."

The fire occurred about a block away from a house fire that destroyed two Penticton homes in October, which Richards says is purely a coincidence.

ORIGINAL: 5:40 a.m.

Emergency crews had to respond to an early morning fire in Penticton Wednesday Morning.

Just before 3 a.m. Penticton Fire Rescue was dispatched for a reported structure fire at 4003 Finnerty Road. Crews arrived to find smoke spewing from the house and flames shooting from the roof.

"PFD made an aggressive interior attack, but was forced out due to structural integrity of the home. At that time we continued our efforts from the exterior of the home," Penticton Fire Chief Larry Watkinson said.

The fire spread quickly throughout the home, totally destroying it. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries and crews had the fire knocked down by 4:33 a.m.

An investigation into the cause of the fire will begin this morning. The occupants of the home are in the care of emergency support services.

More Penticton News