56928
49467

BC  

Prescription led to OD

The parents of a Victoria teen who died from an accidental overdose yesterday say they felt trapped by a medical system that didn't give them a say in their son's painkiller prescriptions.

Sixteen-year-old Elliot Eurchuk died at his home after taking street drugs his parents believe he was using to help him sleep.

His parents, Rachel Staples and Brock Eurchuck, say their son's drug use started after he was prescribed opioids for four surgical procedures in the last year.

They say they begged for alternatives, but were told he was old enough to make his own medical decisions.

Staples described her son as a funny kid who loved reading and puns, was an avid reader and loved rugby, soccer, boxing and hiking.

Eurchuk's school issued a notice of his death to parents.



More BC News

BC
59107
Vancouver Webcam
Webcam provided by webcams.travel
56309
Recent Trending
58861
Okanagan Oldies
58488
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
55144



52412
58455