59217

Canada  

Dozens homeless in blaze

A four-storey apartment building containing about two dozen units was heavily damaged by fire on Monday night in Saint-Hubert, Que., south of Montreal.

No residents were injured in the blaze, but two firefighters and a police officer suffered minor injuries and were later discharged from hospital.

Investigators say they believe the blaze began on the top floor of the building and was caused by hot cooking oil left on a stove.

Local firefighters, who fought the fire in a wind chill in the minus 25 Celsius range, were assisted by colleagues from Montreal, Chambly and La Prairie.

About 60 residents left homeless were being assisted by the Canadian Red Cross.



More Canada News

Canada
58419
Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill Webcam
57111
Recent Trending
59063
Okanagan Oldies
58488
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
58579



59223