Skirts are a staple of any woman's wardrobe: mini skirts, knee-length and pencil skirts can be found all of the time, but this season the Midi skirt is becoming the hottest style to wear.
The midi length describes a hem that is below the knee and above the ankle. This is a pretty old-fashioned length, but fabric, pattern and cut are making it modern again.
The midi can give a lot of mileage in your skirt department; unlike the mini skirt, it is completely work appropriate, and unlike the pencil skirt you can transition it quickly and easily into your casual wear. The length of the skirt allows you to dress it up with a structured blazer and heels to the office, while the breezy nature of the skirt lets you throw on a t-shirt and sandals while running errands on the weekend.
Here are some tips on how to pull off this length:
- the most flattering length lands right under the knee or right above the ankle. Avoid lengths which sit in the middle part of your calf.
- look for midi skirts in interesting patterns, colors and textures to juxtapose the modesty of this trend. Look for a skirt with pleats - they can add some extra shape, and are very on-trend.
- this skirt looks equally good with sky high pumps or flat oxfords; just avoid boots that leave skin showing. Wearing tall boots that hid under the dress will give you a cool 70's vibe!
- this skirt looks best with structured pieces. Avoid baggy or over-sized clothes with this skirt, which can start to look sloppy.
- when in doubt, throw on a pair of pumps, a girly blouse and a swipe of red lipstick for a sexy 1950’s housewife look!