Celebrity son convicted of rape in China
Sep 25, 2013 / 8:41 pm
A Beijing court has convicted the teenage son of two celebrity military singers of rape and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.
The trial of 17-year-old Li Tianyi drew close attention from members of the Chinese public to see whether the judicial system would be lenient because of his family ties.
The Haidian Court in northwest Beijing delivered the verdict Thursday. It said Li and four others took a woman they had met in a bar in February to a nearby hotel room, where they beat her and sexually assaulted her.
Other defendants have been sentenced to jail for three to 12 years.
Read more World News
- Mandela's state funeral set for Dec. 15
- Hundreds to celebrate pot anniversary
- Woman live-tweets husband's death
- Shanghai pollution at dangerous levels
- Whale rescuers feeling more optimistic
- Driving 50-ton battle tank - not easy
- Russian diplomats accused of fraud
- White House changes story
- Three years in prison for ivory smuggler
- Nelson Mandela, prisoner and president
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Powerful storm slams Europe
(Click for RSS instructions.)