Did deadly quake create a new island?
Sep 24, 2013 / 11:10 am
Pakistani officials are investigating whether the powerful earthquake that killed dozens also created a new island off the southern coast.
The Pakistan Meteorological Department's director general, Arif Mahmood, says witnesses have reported that a small island has appeared near the port of Gwadar.
He says the temblor could have caused the earth under the sea to rise, but officials need to investigate further.
Gwadar Police Chief Pervez Umrani says the new land mass is visible from the beach. He says the mass is about 9 metres (30 feet) high and 100 metres (109 yards) long.
At least 39 people were killed by the earthquake.
Read more World News
- Art stolen from London gallery
- Man signing at Mandela memorial a fake
- Crane collapses on supermarket, 1 dead
- Stolen cobalt-60 finally removed by robot
- Bride shared little emotion over his death
- Police clash with protesters in Ukraine
- Another theft from Walker's crash
- First national marketplace for legal pot
- Convicted killer executed in Oklahoma
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche
- World leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- Sound sleeper locked inside empty plane
(Click for RSS instructions.)